Thursday, February 18, 2010

Kelsey Wiseman

"Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrK5u5W8afc&feature=related

"Unchained Melody" was originally recorded by Alex North and Hy Zaret, and has since become one of the most recorded songs of the 1900's with an estimated 500 versions. Its first recording was in 1955 with much success, but was rerecorded in 1965 by the Righteous Brothers where it reached the height of its popularity. It even topped adult contemporary charts again for two weeks when it was rereleased by the Righteous Brothers in 1990. The song is considered to be soul or R&B.

I choose to use this song because my parents use to sing it as a bedtime song when I was younger. Every night before I went to sleep they would sing the opening line and add a line with my name in it.
"Oh, my love, my darling,
my darling Kelsey Ann..."
Sometimes they would sing more of the song, but I can't even remember the words because for some reason the first two lines usually put me to sleep. I only started listening to this song again when I was thinking about this project, and it seems to still have the same effect. The song is very soothing and calming with its slower beat.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey,

    I had an immediate emotional reaction when reading your post, thinking back to my own mother singing songs to me as a child -- she would often sing "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" from South Pacific as she washed my hair in the bathtub.

    I think your post points us to the powerful ways in which our families have a tremendous influence on our musical memory, both contributing to our own tastes (either positively in the way that you have suggested, or negatively -- we rebel) and structure our sense of ourselves.

    Your song selections seem to reflect a good deal of nostalgia, showing how connected your identity is to your childhood.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete