Thursday, February 18, 2010

brent capps

“Daylight” – Matt&Kim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZt1i1ruK34

After hearing the first second of this song, I knew it was going to be that song. That song that I could listen to no matter how horrible my day was, and feel completely better instantly, as cliché as that may be. Every key Matt plays on the piano is like a child laughing or the happy ending to a Jennifer Garner movie. It’s the sound of ultimate happiness or that moment when you feel like you might burst because you’re so excited about what’s ahead. Matt & Kim wrote this song after a sailing trip outside of Connecticut and I imagine that this song encompasses the feeling of sailing enveloped in daylight. They first began playing together in 2004 and their album, “Grand”, simply oozes energy.

To me this song is a sunny disposition, the consciousness in my mind that keeps me going. Having this melody engraved in my brain is the ultimate enemy against pessimism and negative energy. I feel like I can relate to their melody and lyrics. Upbeat, without compromising insight and complexity. “I miss yellow lines in my roads/ some color on monochrome”. A simple desire for something new, something different, to get out of the usual swing of things, yet the way it’s sung is as if he doesn’t care he’s stuck in a rut, because he knows he’ll get out of it. That’s how I want to be- not optimistic, but happily optimistic. Jumping with joy, excited to see what else life has to throw at me. So, in many ways this song, this melody, and these lyrics represent an example for me to follow, a beat for me to march to.

No comments:

Post a Comment