Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hillsong United - "From the Inside Out"

“From the Inside Out” is a Contemporary Gospel song performed by the Sydney-based band Hillsong United. Composed by Joel Houston for the 2006 album United We Stand, the song’s heartwarming lyrics tell of a Christian’s want to be consumed by The Father in every aspect of their life from their inner thoughts to their actions. I first heard “From the Inside Out” during a service held by one of the Christian organizations on campus, Cornerstone – Campus Crusade for Christ. Upon hearing the live band’s rendition of the piece, I was moved by the lyrics and melody of the piece.

For example, “Everlasting, Your light will shine when all else fades / Never ending, Your glory goes beyond all fame” is my favorite part of the song. This chorus speaks volumes to me personally as it does with many other Christians. These words seem to mimic the thoughts of our hearts and souls in that, above all else, we know that God’s “light” and “glory” are two constants in an ever-changing society. The first verse, “A thousand times I've failed / Still Your mercy remains / And should I stumble again / Still I'm caught in Your grace,” also articulates the words of a Christian’s heart. It explains that no matter how many times one may shy away from the Lord’s will, if forgiveness is asked it will be granted. Guitars and drums build a soothing foundation as the lyrics of the song melt one’s heart to the Lord, a goal of many Christians. As I listen to “From the Inside Out,” l realize all over again how God gave his only Son to save me and that all He asks for in return is praise, obedience and a close-relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment