Thursday, February 18, 2010

Address in the Stars - Caitlin and Will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I35_B_5htnI

This song by Caitlin and Will was written by Caitlin after the death of her aunt. Released in their self titled 2009 debut album, the song talks about the difficulty of losing a loved one. The lyrics are sincere and hit home. "I stumbled across your picture today. I could barely breathe" "I'm screamin' at the sky cause it hurts so bad". I feel so many different emotions when I hear this song like heartbreak, longing, pain and sympathy. The central focus of the song is how the narrator has so many things left to say to her loved one but will never have a chance to say them no matter how hard she tries because there's no address in the stars. Although neither the song nor the group has made it big yet, the song did make it to the US Hot Country Billboards starting at number 60 in March 2009 and making its way to 42 by June 2009

When I first heard the song I had no idea who Caitlin and Will were, but my cousin made me listen to them anyway. Address In The Stars instantly became one of my favorite songs. I loved the combined sound of the vocals and the country aspect of the song. I liked the fact that it wasn't a typical boy meets girl, girl loves boy, boy leaves girl kind of song. In the beginning I simply enjoyed listening to the song because it made me feel and those are the songs I love listening to the most. However, my connection with the song quickly became much more personal. College began in August and I left behind the majority with the promise of visiting. There was no doubt in my mind that I would see every last one of them again. We had all been in the same classes since eighth grade. We were practically family. As September rolled around I received the worst possible news. Our little family had lost a very valuable member. Stephanie passed away on September 16th in a car accident on her way to school. I was devastated. That is when Address In The Stars went from a favorite song to a song that hit close to home. Every day all I can think is "What do I do with all I need to say? There's so much I wanna tell you everyday. It breaks my heart. I cry these tears in the dark. I write these letters to you but they get lost in the blue cause there's no address in the stars."

No comments:

Post a Comment