Thursday, February 25, 2010

Monica's Playlist

“Sir Duke,” Stevie Wonder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x65iIpDk2So
This song paints a picture of music for me. When I was younger in elementary school I first heard this song on a commercial and couldn’t stop singing it. Stevie Wonder’s words spoke a voluminous message about the power of music to me even at a young age:
Music is a world within itself /With a language we all understand /With an equal opportunity/
For all to sing, dance and clap their hands - Stevie Wonder
Music has the power to affect anyone it touches. Humans are moved by sound and rhythms. Anyone can make music and this song publicizes that idea in a beautiful way.
The instrumental aspect of the song utilizes trumpets drums and piano and guitars. They provide a tempo that is very up-beat. The electric guitar was somewhat new to this genre in the 70s. The style was similar to disco mixed with some rock, and the trumpets add jazz flair. The overall sound made it easy for me to become interested in this song at a young age

“Put Your Records On” Corinne Bailey Rae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkEeNpWMvgk
This song has a soothing melody laced with calm vocals and flowery imagery. “Three little birds sat at my window.” I can relate to this song because it represents a calmer side of who I am. When I listen to it I feel like I am talking to a good friend and can just “Let my hair down.”
The music that accompanies the lyrics is played by guitar, drums and trumpets. There is some organ to highlight the cords in the background. The arrangement is contemporary and very original. It allows the lyrics to take hold of the listener and not be overshadowed by the music. I feel relaxed when I hear this song and understand the importance of just taking a minute to breathe.

“Ok, It’s Alright With Me” Eric Hutchinson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_y8zBwHAf4
I chose this song for my playlist because the melody comes from the piano and I really love songs that can use the piano as the main instrument. It’s rarely done because music today uses a lot of electronics and electronic beats. This song has the qualities of a sing-a-long because the beat is very bubbly and happy. The piano is accompanied by drums and a tambourine, very simple, which I think is very catchy. Whenever I hear it I become captivated by the beat and melody.
The message behind the song is important and relatable. Basically, Eric is saying there always seems to be something more desirable out in the world and he won’t be satisfied until he finds it at the risk of being alone, only to realize what he had was what he really needed. I can relate to the message I often look for something better when I should be satisfied with what I have.

“Walking on a Dream” Empire of the Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJjF4LHOkY
I first heard this song when my roommate and I were sharing our playlists for the first time and she played it for me. We both ran cross country so the chorus had some motivational application
We are always running for the thrill of it thrill of it/Always pushing up the hill searching for the thrill of it.
But the relevance went further. As the semester went on we became great friends and I know we can lean on each other.
Don’t stop just keep going on/I’m your shoulder lean upon.
The music in this song seems synthesized and the lack of traditional instruments makes it even more intriguing. However it is the same throughout the song so the vocals carry the weights. The band has varying vocal ranges that resemble some 80s bands. They in turn mix that band sound wit electro-pop to create a very appealing sound that is unique to Empire of the Sun.

“Todo Cambió” Camila
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8-9OWzPOQ
This song describes the perils of things changing around you, and was written by the band to describe some of their hard times before they made it big. The song means “Everything Changed” and they sing about how things were going in the wrong direction until someone special came along and put things in perspective. “De blanco y negro a color, me convertí.” The world in black and white was changed. This song defines me because sometimes it takes a good friend to help me see the colorful side of life when things are looking dull.
The music is classic Latin-American pop and uses guitars, drums, and piano. The song resembles some of the popular 90s power ballads which is probably why it was appealing during this decade as well. The overall mood of the song captures the listener and the vocals touch the emotions that make you feel the song in your heart.

“One Love” Bob Marley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8onbDZmAwhE
This song was named song of the Millennium by BBC. The message is straight forward and is a plea for people to just love and come together.
One Love, One Heart/ Let’s get together and feel alright.
I chose this song for my playlist because I can agree with the message of everyone coming together for a good cause. This song has been used in many campaigns and as a theme for some world initiatives. The beat also captured my attention when I first heard the song as a young child and I would sing it all the time around my house. The reggae/ R& B style that Marley and his band use has become very influential in many other genres today like reggaton and hip hop. I think of a relaxing day by the beach in the Caribbean whenever I hear this song.

“Halftime (Stand Up & Get Crunk)” Ying Yang Twins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5zvLI512I
This song defines me because it was played before all of my soccer games. Although it is rowdy, it would get me and my team focused. Whether we were running our warm-up lap, doing passes, or a drill, when this song came on everyone worked harder and did better. “Here we come to get you” was our message to the other team. This song got me in the zone to go out on the field and play hard for a win.
The beat is definitely a drum-line beat and might be something heard at a football game which probably helped hype up our team. “Crank you up/ Cuz we won’t quit” are words that motivated to us get moving during warm-ups even if we were playing a tough team.

“The Show” Lenka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI8Ysr1BgmQ
This song is about being overwhelmed by things of the world. I can definitely relate because the stresses that I go through in everyday life. The message is that you should just take a breather and enjoy “The Show” which is just life.
I'm just a little bit caught in the middle/ Life is a maze and love is a riddle/ I don't know where to go I can't do it alone I've tried.
Lenka’s voice is very soothing and she doesn’t worry about sounding perfect or trying too hard to cover her accent. I am convinced that she feels what she is singing. The accent notes from the piano and trumpet makes the song sound a little kiddy but it just shows that it’s okay to take a break from adult struggles to be a kid for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment