Friday, February 19, 2010

Paul Simon: "Father and Daughter"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em1vUQOj-k4

“Father and Daughter” by Paul Simon was written for the 2002 children’s film The Wild Thornberrys Movie. “Father and Daughter”, as the theme song for the movie, was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song. The song was used for the move soundtrack and was also released on his 2006 album Surprise and his 2007 ‘best-of’ album The Essential Paul Simon.
Paul Simon is an American singer-songwriter who is most famous for starting out as part of the duo Simon and Garfunkel. Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel started out in 1965, reaching three number one songs on the US singles chart, and then splitting in 1970. Throughout his career, Paul Simon has won thirteen Grammys and the Lifetime Achievement Award, has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, was named by Time to be one of the “100 People Who Shaped the World”, and selected to be the first recipient of the Library of Congress’s Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.
Paul Simon is unique in his ability to incorporate many genres of music into his songs; beginning with an overall folk theme by Simon and Garfunkel, and then to reggae, blues, and rock and roll.
When my parents were dropping me off for the first time at boarding school, my dad gave me a cd that had “Father and Daughter” on it to listen to every time I missed him. I’ve always had an extraordinary relationship with my dad and he’s always taken on a more ‘friend’ role with me than that dominating parent. We’ve always been able to connect through our love of music, history, and Hagen Daz coffee ice cream. Boarding school made me grow up very fast and a pretty young age, but I still found comfort knowing that through this song, I could still connect to the strong and cherished relationship I had with my ‘daddy’. We were hundreds of miles apart, but he told me to pay close attention to the lyrics to remember: “As long as one and one is two, there could never be a father who loved his daughter more than I love you”. The mellow rhythm of the song reminded me of the simplicity of our relationship and that I don’t have to try too hard to maintain the unique bond I had with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment