Friday, February 19, 2010

Toto's "Africa"

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NuA7AripfU

As the piano and drums begin to play in the song “Africa,” I can’t help but to think of the night I was sitting in my friend Liza’s living room with about 14 of my really close friends. It was my junior year in high school and my third and last year living in South Africa, so I wanted to make it memorable. After many nights of talking with my closest friends and family, my friends and I decided that we would travel to Tanzania and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. This adventure would be something that would forever change my life. Throughout the training, we became a family and bonded over many things such as the song “Africa.” To this day, every time I hear this song I think of all the memories this song carries and I just smile.

“Africa” was originally written by David Paich and Jeff Porcaro for the band Toto. Paich was inspired by a documentary about Africa that not only moved him but also hurt him because of the condition of the people. This song was introduced in their 1982 album Toto IV, but many would be surprised to know that this song was almost omitted from their 1982 album. Ironically, it became number one on the Billboard 100 and later became one of the most popular songs this rock band has ever recorded. It was later covered by many artists, which include Howie Day as well as the Clef Hangers here at Carolina. I feel that this song is about love for a woman and an honest confession of curiosity and admiration for a mysterious continent. I relate to this song well because I feel that although Africa has lots of culture and history it is a continent that is easily overlooked and left behind. As the band sings:


I stopped an old man along the way,
hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies
He turned to me as if to say, Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you

No comments:

Post a Comment