Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Annotated Playlist - Zachary Gottlieb

Zachary Gottlieb
February 19, 2010
Unit Two, Feeder One
English 102

Annotated Playlist

“Kick, Push” by Lupe Fiasco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl83mI69nX4

“Kick, Push” is the Grammy nominated first single released from Lupe Fiasco's debut album, Food & Liquor. It has been referred to as "a needle in hip hop's haystack of complacent songs." In this song rapper Lupe Fiasco tells the story of a boy and his love for skateboarding through a refreshing old school hip-hop style. Fiasco raps about the first minute the boy rode on his skateboard and how his passion grows for the sport as the boy ages and matures. The song has a “cool” kind of vibe to it with high and low horn sounds. I love how the song’s rhythm has these high and lows, which reinforce the song’s illustration of the life’s ups and downs. The song’s lyrics discuss how the boy has to determine his own path and how skateboarding means so much more to him than just a sport. At first he fails but what little taste of success he gets keeps him attached. Eventually he grows to love it so much that it affects his lifestyle and even his love life.

I included this jazzy hip-hop song in my playlist because I used to love skateboarding and because of its deeper metaphor comparing skateboarding to life. My favorite line is "Just the freedom was better than breathing they said.” I can relate to this because there used to not be a day when I wouldn’t go for a ride. It's like when you enjoy something so much, you can't live without it. He sings about how the boy falls and busts his lip but his determination pushes him to continue skateboarding and improving. I love the part “But he was feelin' himself Got a lil more swagger in his style,” this shows how all his effort paid off, it was worth it to him for this “swagger.” I remember when I used to skateboard I would use it as I way to escape all the commotion and chaos in my life. The feeling of just riding with the wind rushing by my face was very relaxing, just as it is to the boy in Fiasco’s insightful song.

“Wonderwall” by Oasis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hzrDeceEKc

Oasis is an English rock band from Manchester that was very popular in the nineties.
Oasis has sold over 70 million records worldwide and has received many musical awards. This is one of the more popular songs from their album (What’s the Story) Morning Glory? In October 1995. Many people believe the song is about love but in an interview with the lead vocalist, Noel Gallagher, he said “it's a song about an imaginary friend who's gonna come and save you from yourself." The slow, peaceful acoustic guitar comes together with Gallagher’s poetic lyrics to describe how much he really cares about his “Wonderwall.” The song’s delightful melody fills me with the same sense of inner tranquility and comfort that my “Wonderwall” provides me with.

This song reminds me of my childhood growing up in London, England, as this is where I first heard the song. More importantly though it makes me think of my “Wonderwall,” the person who actually first introduced me to the song. My older sister Brooke has always been there to support and talk to me. She has been there for me even in the toughest times and she tells me she will continue to be there for me throughout my life. “And all the roads we have to walk along are winding. And all the lights that lead us there are blinding.” I can relate to the lyrics of the song as they remind that even though the obstacles we are presented with may be difficult to overcome, my sister’s support will continue to help me be successful and happy in my life.

“Comfortably Numb” by Pink Floyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJNyQfAprY

Pink Floyd was an English rock band known for their psychedelic rock music in the 1960s and 1970s. "Comfortably Numb," from the 1979 double album The Wall, is the ultimate Pink Floyd song for many fans. The incredible musical combinations, extraordinary guitar solos, unearthly vocals and symbolic lyrics illustrate just Pink Floyd is regarded as one of the most influential rock bands of all time. People continue to debate this song’s complex significance or if it does in fact have an intentional meaning. It is often believed that the song is about heroin or other drugs and its drastic effects to distort reality. Roger Waters, the band’s singer and bass player wrote the lyrics to the song and said it is not about drugs but about his feelings of being very ill as a child.

I love this song and included it in my playlist because of its cryptic emotion filled lyrics. I think this state he is describing represents losing one’s childhood innocence and becoming immersed in a world filled with so much pain. Instead of drugs distorting reality I believe the song illustrates how reality destroys the innocence and optimism of our dreams. “The child is grown, the dream is gone.” I included this depressing song in my playlist because it shows how suppressing one’s feelings and thoughts can drive you insane and cause you to become “numb” like the character in this song. This sad song does display some brutal truths about reality, but I enjoy listening to this masterpiece because of these deeper revelations.

“Closing Time” by Semisonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGytDsqkQY8

Semisonic is an alternative rock band formed in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1995. "Closing Time," the 1998 hit single from their album Feeling Strangely Fine, is probably their most well known song. The song’s electric guitar chords and piano coordinate perfectly to build up the emotions associated with the song’s lyrics. In Semisonic drummer Jacob Slichter's recent memoir, “So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star,” he explains that Dan Wilson wrote the song in expectation of becoming a father; that the song is about being ejected from the womb as though from a bouncer at a bar. However, this song makes me think of the cycle of how all things, good and bad, must eventually come to end. It reminds of how life is dynamic and always changing, and the best way to deal with this fact is to simply enjoy every moment you can to the fullest.

I remember listening to this song with my high school friends at the end of the day on the way home. It reminds me of my graduation and parting ways with all the familiar friends and places I used to be so much closer with. The line “One last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer,” implies that this momentary bliss will end and the time for responsibility will follow. The way lead vocalist Dan Wilson’s voice and the smashing electric guitar chords get progressively louder and more powerful make you want to just get up, dance and live for that single moment in time.

“What I Got” by Sublime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc3ZrmhDN4

Sublime was an American ska punk band from Long Beach, California, formed in 1988. "What I Got," from the band’s third album, remains to be the band's only number one hit single in their musical career. The song’s meaning is pretty simple, that being to appreciate what one has and focusing on the better things in life. Being accepting of mistakes and mishaps proves to be easier and more beneficial than becoming frustrated. The lyrics include many examples of daily frustrations and their associated negative feelings, as well some of the simple pleasures in life. The lead singer and guitarist, Bradley Nowell, sings “It all comes back to you you're gonna get what you deserve,” showing his belief that if you give love than you will receive it as well. The song fuses reggae-sounding beats with easy and catchy lyrics to promote an exceedingly pleasant attitude.

I enjoy listening to this song because it helps me to appreciate all the things I have and to not get pessimistic. Nowell sings about how he realizes money only causes problems, and that love is the only thing that helps him deal with his hardships. The cheerful and joyful tone of the song emphasizes the lighthearted attitude of the band. I don’t want to emphasize being carefree or apathetic as a part of my identity, but I think it is important to realize that sometimes things do go wrong. Dwelling on frustrations does not offer any benefit and honestly makes me feel even worse about myself.

“Amber” by 311

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUFSB2plwzM

311 is an American rock band from Omaha, Nebraska, formed in 1988. The band generally plays light rock with a combination of reggae sounding beats. “Amber” has a peaceful and beautiful sounding guitar riff throughout the song that complements the lyrics. Nick Hexum, the band’s vocalist and rhythm guitarist, sings about the “energy” he feels from something that he loves. He is possibly describing a girl and tries to put his emotions into words. Whenever I have had a crush on a girl this song makes me think of all those feelings associated with what exactly it is that makes me attracted to her in the first place. The verse "launched a thousand ships in my heart" is a great metaphor to describes the warmness and comfort love provides.

The way the song begins with the slow guitar notes is powerful and alluring like love itself. It tells me to take a moment to step back and to try to make sense of how beautiful love can be. This light and relaxing song embodies every thought I've ever had while being in love. It is a difficult sensation to describe but 311 does a good job of formulating a rather harmonious piece to convey the great feelings it can fill you with. Amber also reminds me of my relaxing summers during high school. It has a cool laidback guitar riff throughout the whole song that instantly fills my mind with images from beach trips and poolside gatherings with my friends.

“Under the Bridge” by Red Hot Chili Peppers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4-EgKDev1Y&feature=related

Red Hot Chili Peppers is an American alternative rock band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 1983. The band's varied musical style has fused traditional funk with elements of other genres including punk rock and psychedelic rock. On a documentary the band’s vocalist Anthony Kiedis says that he was driving along the freeway in L.A once when he was really depressed. He said he felt like there was no one he could connect with and he was completely alone in the universe, so he started singing to himself and thus the lyrics of “Under the Bridge” were formed. Kiedis wrote these poetic lyrics describing his desperate conflict against his drug addictions. This melodic guitars and the hopelessness in Kiedis’ voice embody this tragic battle he had to fight.

Being “Under the Bridge” is not pleasant, but there will be times you get caught in a depression. After my dad had a heart attack and underwent quadruple bypass surgery I can definitely say I felt as if I was “Under the Bridge.” I love this song when I'm feeling lonely because it lets me know that I'm not the only one that has felt this way and it reminds me not to give in to the temptations that ultimately make things worse for me. The harmonious church choir voice at the end of the song offers some sign of hope for overcoming and fighting to reach a more peaceful state of mind.

“Blinded (When I See You)” by Third Eye Blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMgKuY8nkUM

Third Eye Blind is an American alternative rock band formed in the early 1990s in San Francisco. Stephan Jenkins sings about a past love of his and how his emotions toward this girl will never change. They have broken up now but every time he sees her he feels “Like I'm staring down the sun.” He can’t seem to understand why their relationship ceased to live on, and there is no way he can stop his love for the girl. “Still I won't turn now from a fight you know I'll never win.” I think the song is composed with echoing guitar notes and a high voice to show Jenkins’ unrelenting desire to receive the same love he shares for the girl.

Jenkins wants to explain that even though they have both moved on from the relationship their experience together has formed who they have become. “When where we've been has left us burned.” You can sense that the writer of the song feels that rather than grow from their relationship, breaking up has left them scarred. He feels that only he understands that and he will never be able to get her to realize this. I relate to his song because I experienced similar feelings after getting out of my first long relationship in high school.

“Love and Memories” by OAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpea4Nlzs1U

OAR is an upbeat American rock band that generally plays happy and fun songs. The band utilizes familiar percussion and guitar beats that are used frequently in the rock genre but also uses a saxophone to spice up their songs. In this song Marc Roberge sings about a past love of his. “Run me straight into the ground
Drowning deep inside your water.” He metaphorically describes drowning in the love that he shared with this woman and all of their memories. He seems overwhelmed by this love, and contemplates if it really was genuine. However, I think the upbeat tone shows that even though the relationship is over it is important to cherish the good memories.

This strong and energetic song reminds of me of my ex girlfriend from high school. We were very close and even though we aren’t friends anymore I still will always have memories of when we were happily together. “Love me faster than the devil” is an interesting line because one wouldn’t associate love with the devil. However this shows that love is a double-edged sword, and how Roberge possibly feels the love he had for this girl was short lived. The lyrics make it seem like he wasn’t sure if she really did ever love him. This feeling is very familiar to me as I was asking the same question after we separated. While the lyrics are somewhat disheartening and encompass a feeling that is a pretty overused in music, I think OAR presents it very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment