Thursday, February 18, 2010

Iesha Bailey

“ The General” by Dispatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3JjlkfX5Gk

Dispatch is a band that incorporates numerous genres into its intricate style of music. Reggae, acoustic folk-rock, and funk are some of its main focuses. The band consists of Chad Urmston, Brad Corrigan, and Pete Heimbold. Dispatch is unique because it uses multiple instruments, making its sound distinct.

The song “The General” was recorded on their 1998 album entitled "Bang Bang". It tells the story of an old general who fought in many battles and earned countless honors and awards. The night before a combat, the general had a dream in which he realized that the battle they were fighting was pointless. The next morning as his soldiers prepared for the impending conflict, the general stepped out of his tent and told his men to go home.

He said,
I have seen the others and I have discovered that this fight is not worth fighting
And I've have seen their mothers and I will no other to follow me where I'm going

…Take your shower, shine your shoes
Well, you got no time to lose
You are young men you must be living
Go now you are forgiven

When I first heard this song, I was dealing with a really bad situation. I was having a hard time admitting my own personal faults and mistakes. This issue from my past definitely influenced the message that I received from this song. To some, this song could speak of absolutely anything, but to me it speaks of forgiveness, a concept that most people struggle with. In the song, the old general easily dismisses the actions of his soldiers. I think this is because he has recognized his own mistakes and realized how easy it is to be misled. To me this song emphasizes how important it is acknowledge the mistakes we make because this can lead to forgiveness. It is important to see the truth in all things despite the fact the truth could change our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment