Thursday, February 25, 2010

I love That Song! - Annotated Playlist (Final)

The Notorious B.I.G. – “Juicy”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsT8FaZnzdE

The Notorious B.I.G., better known as Biggie Smalls or Biggie, is known as one of rap’s legends. Born Christopher George Latore Wallace in Brooklyn, York, Biggie became an icon after the release of his debut album, “Ready to Die.” This phenomenal album featured the song “Juicy” which is an anthem of sorts to those who have struggled during their youth and grown up to be successful. A prevalent snare drum and guitar make for an easy listen and it’s almost impossible not to nod along to the infectious beat. The chorus begins with “You know very well who you are / Don’t let ‘em hold you down, reach for the stars;” these are very uplifting lines, telling the audience to follow their dreams and that anything is possible with determination and faith. These lyrics, along with the beat, were sampled from a 1982 song by Mtumbe entitled Juicy Fruit. I enjoy Mtumbe’s message mixed with that of Biggie’s. Through the verses of “Juicy,” Biggie narrates the story of his less than trouble-free upbringing, when his family sometimes went without heat, to a life in which he’s able to buy 5 carat earrings for his young daughter. It’s your typical from “rags to riches” story played out in a less than typical manner.

This song is personally significant to me because it brings back memories of my childhood. My two older brothers were, and still are, huge Biggie fans so this particular song was always playing at our house. In my phone, I even have it as the ringtone for my eldest brother. The beat to “Juicy,” as well as the chorus, also plays a large role in why I identify with the song so much. I enjoy uplifting and encouraging music and this song is a fine example of just that.


The Fray – “Over My Head (Cable Car)”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRkpvvop3I

The Fray is an American four-piece band from Denver, Colorado known for their unique mix of mid-tempo piano driven pop-rock tracks and power ballads. The single “Over My Head (Cable Car),” from 2005 debut album “In Over My Head,” was written about lead singer and pianist Isaac Slade’s relationship with his brother, Caleb, nicknamed "Cable Car". Slade wrote the song because he and his brother were allegedly not speaking and were at odds with each other. I, however, got a completely different meaning out of it. When I hear the lyrics, “Everyone knows I’m in over my head, over my head / With 8 seconds left in overtime,” I see someone who is at a crossroad in their life and does not know which way to turn; however, a decision must be made quickly. Through Slade’s distinctive voice, one can hear the pain, fear and apprehension of said person.

From this perspective I can identify with the piece. As a college student, I become quite overwhelmed. From trying to juggle family, school, friends and time for myself, to preparing for life after undergrad, I often feel pressure to succeed. So, while “Over My Head (Cable Car)” is not your characteristic encouraging song, I do find support in the fact that I am not alone in my feelings of frustration and fear when hit with difficult time.


Anthony Hamilton – “Her Heart”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRD32UiLml0

I have been a fan of the neo-soul approach to music of Anthony Hamilton, born in Charlotte, NC, ever since his sophomore album of 2003. “Her Heart” is from his sixth album, “The Point of It All” (2008) and tells the story of a man who has come to the realization that he has not been the kind of partner that his significant other has deserved. The chorus shows this epiphany when Hamilton exclaims the following: “And as you cried in my arms / You woke up my heart / And I saw again what I found in you / ‘Cause her heart, her heart won’t let me lose her / No matter how I try, I just can’t say goodbye / And lose her.” These lyrics show his sincerity in changing. The calming melody, mostly piano and soft drums, puts one at ease and often brings tears to my eyes because what woman doesn’t want to believe in true love and happy endings?

Personally, this song has a great significance in my life. Over the past few months, I’ve been struggling with major family issues and truly needed my boyfriend during these times. He, however, was hardly there for me, until one day he stopped by with Anthony Hamilton’s CD, “The Point of It All.” There was a special mark beside number 12, “Her Heart.” This was my first time listening to the CD and while the entire album was extraordinary, this song was my favorite. My boyfriend then explained that he simply didn’t know what to say to me when so many things seemed to be going wrong at once, but wanted me to be sure of his love. This gesture meant so much to me and “Her Heart” is one of my favorite songs because of it.


Wale – “Diary”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYd_Hom4szE

Wale is an American hip hop artist from Washington, D.C. His single “Diary,” from his 2009 album “Attention Deficit,” relays his struggle with courting a young woman who has been hurt by in so many of her past relationships. Because of this pain, a lack of trust for men in general has surfaced and she refuses to give Wale a chance. The rapper feels as though the woman is further punishing herself by not opening herself up to a man, himself, who know that she deserves the titles of “Queen” and “Wife.” The beat twists and cascades underneath Marsha Ambrosius’ troubled chorus: “I wonder why I sit and cry / Wish I could share all shed all these tears / I'm down and out, I'll keep on movin' and try to get out / I don't know how to move on, where I went wrong / Wish I could live with no fears.” These lyrics feature sentiments of a girl having a hard believing in her self-worth.

I believe that anyone that has been hurt in a relationship can relate to the lyrics of this song. Wale so beautifully captures the essence of the broken dreams, uncertainty and fear that plagues everyone who has ever had their heart broken. He also offers hope that someone will one day come along and treat you as the “Queen,” or King perhaps, that you truly are. Also, one must not allow past mistakes to stand in the way of future happiness.


Miranda Lambert – “White Liar”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoR2Oax82kY

From her 2009 album “Revolution,” Miranda Lambert’s “White liar” tells of a woman confronting her cheating spouse. The country music superstar has the perfect delivery and tone, strong with a little bit of bitterness that works well with the lyrics. “Hey White Liar / The truth comes out a little at a time…”personifies lies as harmful because the truth will inevitably catch up with the liar. Lambert goes on to tell him the truth -“Here’s a bombshell just for you / turns out I’ve been lying too.” Through this line, Lambert shows her cheating boyfriend that his lies have not broken her spirit and she too has secrets. The beat sounds stereotypically country with steel, acoustic and electric guitars along with drums. I enjoy this song because it does not try to be anything but country. Lambert is true to her genre and does not conform to the pop ballads like so many other artists.

There is no personal reason as to why “White Liar” is one of my favorite songs other than the fact that I do believe in karma; the saying “What goes around, comes around” is always in the back of my mind. Karma played a large role in this piece because while Lambert’s spouse thought he had gotten over on his girlfriend, she gave him with a rude awakening of her own. My mother also instilled in me as a child that even a seemingly harmless white lie has the potential to do damage. This advice reflects Lambert’s lyrics “And it spreads just like a fire” in that once you tell a lie, you have to cover that lie with another; therefore, you never stop lying.


Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men – “One Sweet Day”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXxRyNvTPr8

Mariah Carey is an American singer, songwriter, record producer and actress. Carey has sold more than 175 million albums, singles and videos worldwide. The superstar teamed with Boyz II Men, a world famous American rhythm and blues quartet from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1995 for the ballad “One Sweet Day.” The idea for the song came after the passing of a dear friend of theirs. Lyrics of this piece are rich with regret and hope and are enhanced by a soft melodic piano. “Sorry I never told you all I wanted to say / And now it’s too late to hold you because you’ve flown away / So far away” – this opening verse is one of many powerful, heartfelt confessions made throughout the piece. This line mimics the innermost thoughts of many after losing a loved one.

My cousin sang this song as a tribute to our late grandmother. It was a beautiful gesture because this song encompassed many of my feelings at the time. I felt as though I could have spent more time with my grandmother, or called more often. Yet, the truth of the matter is that she knew exactly how much I adored her and there is no need for me to feel lonely because “I know eventually we’ll be together / One sweet day,” just as the chorus states.


James Fortune and FIYA – “l Trust You”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwQy2eQbJM

James Fortune is a renowned gospel singer who has collaborated with the phenomenal spiritual group FIYA to bring us an inspiring piece. “I Trust You,” from the 2008 album “Transformation,” tells the story of how when hard times strike, it becomes hard to continue walking in faith through; the song does so through the following lyrics: “So many painful thoughts / Travel through my mind / And I wonder how / I will make it through this time / but I trust You.” Here Fortune and FIYA truly grasp the pain felt by Christians in times of need. The singers let their audience know that if one holds fast to the Lord, He will see you through. Piano, cymbals, maracas and drums offer a soft background for these powerful lyrics. The song begins quit slow and melodic and near the end, crescendos with the repetition of the words “I trust You;” this adds emphasis to the act of believing in God even though one can’t see Him or feel his touch, as the first verse of the song points out.

This song is especially important to me because it was the first piece that I heard after deciding to give my life to Christ again. I had been baptized as a child, but felt the need to re-dedicate my life to the Lord as an adult. When I hear “I Will Trust You,” I go back to that day and the feelings of joy, pride and Christ-love that filled my heart.


Chrisette Michele – “Porcelain Doll”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U33Xk_-PqFE

Chrisette Michele is known for her brutally honest lyrics, raw talent and original voice. From her 2009 album “Epiphany,” Chrisette Michele released the song “Porcelain Doll.” The upbeat piece relays the story of a woman who simply wants to be treated as an equal in her relationship rather than a “trophy [wife].” In the chorus the artist exclaims to her mate that “If [he wants] to cradle [her] like a little girl / And lock [her] down, [she’s] not [his] possession / [she’s] a full grown woman / [she’s] not [his] porcelain doll.” These lyrics are very straightforward and reflect Chrisette Michele’s longing for “the respect [one gives] a woman” and a partner - drums and piano work as the backdrop for these beautiful lyrics.

Any woman can relate to this song on some level; perhaps not in the relationship sense, but from a career standpoint. I was first introduced to this song by my cousin who is a strong and self-secure young woman. In requesting this song for me, she wanted to instill in me a love for myself that was unshakeable. The lyrics “You gotta respect me totally / otherwise I’m gonna up and leave” show that Chrisette is not willing to settle for anything less than everything in her relationship, just as my cousin has told me to do in every aspect of my life. I love how Chrisette Michele was able to encompass such powerful and moving lessons in a fun, soulful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment