Friday, April 9, 2010

My Favorite Film

I will admit that I am in fact a hopeless romantic. With this confession, I can gladly say that my favorite film is the 2005 adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, which is based on Jane Austen’s novel of the same title. This movie revolves around a family of five daughters, a father and a mother, whose purpose in life is to get her daughters married. Soon after the film begins, the mother Mrs. Bennett learns of a wealthy young man who has just moved in next door, his name is Mr. Bingley. Once she learns of him, she does all she can to set her daughter Jane up with Mr. Bingley. The two soon meet at a dance where Jane brings her sister Elizabeth and Mr. Bingley brings a friend named Mr. Darcy. After the initial meet, Jane and Mr. Bingley have already fallen for one another, but this is not the case for Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. While Mr. Darcy was unimpressed by her looks, Elizabeth found him to be obnoxious and not of her taste. This distaste carries on through about half-way through the film until Mr. Darcy confesses his love for the lovely Ms. Elizabeth Bennett. She is repulsed because she had earlier learned that Mr. Darcy was the reason why Mr. Bingley broke things off with Jane. Mr. Darcy soon regrets his advice to Mr. Bingley and is left with a rejection from Elizabeth. For the rest of the film, Mr. Darcy fights to win the love of Ms. Elizabeth Bennett, which she begins to notice and admire. In the end, he confesses that she has bewitched him body and soul and she reciprocates his love.

Apart from the happy ending, I enjoy this movie because I enjoy watching Keira Knightley’s character develop. From the girl that refused to love, to the girl that can’t deny her feelings for Mr. Darcy. Her constant battle to try and not like Mr. Darcy fails, which I find very captivating and real about her story. She is young woman that is strong and tries to be smart and independent, which I feel I can relate to. So watching her character find love always brings a smile to my face because her tension filled path to love was far from easy, but it does in fact happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment